I got a few questions from my Be More group on who and when touch and go deadlifts should be utilized. Here's my take:
- Both styles have distinct benefits and support different goals.
- Dead stop is better for REFINING your SKILL to increase your maximal DL strength.
- TnG can be more beneficial for hypertrophy (muscle growth) and grip strength through greater time under tension, however this increases the possibility of losing tightness or breakdown of form.
- Dead stop better prepares you for max singles, especially if performed with a full reset.
Your needs as an athlete. Where you are in training block/macrocycle. Where you are in your lifting career.
WHO SHOULD DO FULL RESETS?
- Newer lifters still perfecting form and building consistency.
- Powerlifters in meet prep phases of their training (building specificity by pulling from a dead stop).
WHO SHOULD DO TOUCH N GO.
- Lifters who fully have TECHNIQUE down with 100% consistency.
- Experienced powerlifters in hypertrophy or volume/accumulation blocks of training, prioritizing muscle growth and work capacity through increased time under tension.
What do you think? Do you complete full-stop or touch and go deadlifts and why? Join the conversation and let me know what you think.